Ԫ Tokyo Metropolis League - Stories
Tokyo Metropolis Football league

Zippy start from BEFC as George Bungles Div2 Debut


Season 7 2009/10)
Season 6 2008/9)
Season 5 2007/8)
Season 4 2006/7)
Season 3 2005/6)
Season 2 (2004/5)
Season 1 (2003/4)

gold sponsor

Horisaki Koen, Saunday 12th September
New kits, new opposition, new pitch, and thankfully a renewed vigor about BEFC following a distinctly average TML7. A first trek out to Hoirsaki Koen proved fruitful as a first ever clash with King George yielded a 5-1 victory and plenty of positives.
There was a calm and measured build-up to the game. No mention of ‘must-win’ or ‘this will shape our season’, just to focus on shape and simplicity. And that was the mantra that served the Embassy well all afternoon as possession was maintained for long periods and the panic button was left untouched for a change.
Two debutants fitted in effortlessly alongside the familiar old-guard. Thomas was a reassuring presence at the back and added some much-needed height to what must be among the smallest teams in the league, while the versatile Ewan showed his quality throughout the game. Silvano was outstanding as the lone striker, and the midfield three of Ferdy, Craig, and Will broke things up all afternoon.
It took a while to get going – the intentions were good right from the start but having not played a match all summer long, passes were going astray and getting the ball under control proving challenging. That said, the shape was kept and slowly and surely things started coming together.
Midway through the first half, the deadlock was finally broken when a high ball into the King George box wasn’t dealt with and Masa picked up the pieces to rifle home. However, a familiar complacency briefly kicked-in and the equalizer soon came. A throughball split the defence and the tricky number 8 kept his composure to slot past Keith. Here we go again? Not this time. The Embassy went in at half-time 3-1 up. Firstly, Rob’s free-kick from the left was flicked on by Craig to Thomas who drilled in from the edge of the box, and then Silvano got his rewards for his constant chasing down and tireless running with a really well taken goal having been put through by Ferdy.
In this position, several times in the past we’ve cracked and thrown games away, a fact wisely drilled home by Gary during the interval. And while the second-half performance never reached the heights of the first, it was kept tight at the back. Gary practiced what he had preached with some no-nonsense clearances and Tom was giving away nothing in the air. Diligent full-backs Tim and Lou let little past them. Even on the few times when the defence was breached Keith was quick off his line to block or narrow angles.
Finally the vital fourth came. Silvano was upended in the box and Steve, having a very good first game as ref, awarded a penalty. With his confidence high, Sil smashed the penalty right into the stanchion. And that is where this correspondent’s memory fades having left the pitch concussed by a ball square in the face. I am reliably informed that Craig put the icing on the cake with a nice little lob over the keeper. Boom, 5-1, job done.
So, a good day all round though feet will be kept firmly on the ground despite Paddy Power slashing our odds for promotion. Next up are old friendly-foes, the Vags, surely one of the favourites to go up, and a game that will be a real test of our credentials. As for King George, they will feel slightly aggrieved by the scoreline if not the result and have enough quality and enthusiasm to do just fine in this division. A good start indeed but there’s a long, long road before we find out what’s at the end of the (ahem) Rainbow.

Report by Rob Horsfield